Saturday, October 04, 2008

Sloppy Denise's

My friend Denise sent me this recipe & she said this is a rather large recipe, so it's a good one to freeze.


Sloppy Denise's

2½ lbs ground beef
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup of French's mustard
1 24 ounce bottle of Ketchup
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of garlic salt (or powder)
1½ teaspoons of salt - omit if using garlic salt.
1/4 cup sugar
2 large onions - diced fine
2 large bell peppers (red or green - whichever you like better)

Brown the ground beef & drain all grease. In a large pot - melt butter and sauté onions and bell peppers approx 10-15 min, until soft. Add in ground beef & mix. Add in wet ingredients: ketchup, mustard, vinegar & Worcestershire sauce. Blend well. Bring to simmer. Add in dry ingredients: garlic salt (or powder), sugar, & salt if using. Blend in well. Let mixture simmer about an hour on low. This is where I taste test. Sometimes I like it a little more tart so I add in a bit more mustard, Worcestershire and vinegar. Sometimes I like it a little more sweet, so I add in a little more sugar. I just add in a bit at a time, like 1/4 cup more of mustard or sugar, or a couple tablespoons of vinegar or Worcestershire.

Sometimes I find I enjoy eating it with potato chips like a dip than as a sandwich! I also like it in those "Scoops" tortilla bowls.

I haven't found much of a difference when using different ketchup, although I mostly stick to Heinz. Somehow the mustard makes a difference to my taste buds. I used a store brand once and it just did not have the right "zing" to it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails